While summer is coming to an end, it’s important to realize that protecting yourself and your family from the sun shouldn’t end just because the seasons are changing. The chances of developing melanoma later in life more than doubles after just one blistering sunburn during childhood. It’s important to start good habits early in life when it comes to skin care.
Five easy tips to keep your children safe from the sun:
- Choose a wide-brimmed hat or bonnet to protect the face, neck, and ears. Your baby will get used to wearing hat when you start early. We like Flap Happy Hats with their built in SPF 50 protection and wide range of sizes and prints.
- Sunglasses with UVA and UVB protection are also important for protecting the eyes, and the sensitive skin around the eye. (They’ll thank you later in life when they are crow-feet free!)
- A broad- spectrum sunscreen with at least 15+ SPF applied to all uncovered areas are very important. Noodle and Boo’s Play-Day sunscreen is SPF 30+ has UVA and UVB broad spectrum protection. Don’t forget their tiny hands!
- Don’t forget to reapply! Pull out your Play-Day sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside and reapply every two hours or after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Seek shade especially between 10am and 4 pm.
Remember to lead by example. If you set good habits, they will become life-long habits for your children!